The live-action Barbie movie has surpassed La La Land to become Ryan Gosling's biggest movie at the box office. As of July 28, 2023, Barbie has grossed over $300 million worldwide, while La La Land's lifetime box office total is $356 million.
Barbie was released in theaters on July 21, 2023, and has been met with mixed reviews from critics. However, it has been a commercial success, and is currently the 10th highest-grossing movie of the year.
La La Land was released in theaters in December 2016, and won six Academy Awards, including Best Picture and Best Director. However, it was not as successful at the box office, grossing just over $356 million worldwide.
6 major reasons might be there that may have contributed to the success of Barbie over La La Land:
- Timing: Barbie was released in the summer, which is typically a more lucrative time for movies. La La Land, on the other hand, was released in December, which is a slower time for moviegoing.
- Target audience: Barbie was marketed specifically to young audiences, who are a large and growing demographic. La La Land, on the other hand, was marketed to a wider audience, but may not have appealed as much to younger viewers.
- Word-of-mouth: Barbie has received positive word-of-mouth from audiences, which has helped to drive ticket sales. La La Land was also well-received by critics, but did not receive as much positive word-of-mouth from audiences.
- Cinematic universe: Barbie is part of a larger cinematic universe, which includes other Mattel films such as Hot Wheels and Masters of the Universe. This may have helped to attract audiences who are already familiar with these properties. La La Land was a standalone film, and did not have the benefit of being part of a larger franchise.
- Marketing campaign: The film's marketing campaign was very effective at targeting young audiences. The trailers and posters featured bright, colorful imagery that appealed to children and teenagers.
- Soundtrack: The film's soundtrack was also a major factor in its success. The songs were catchy and upbeat, and they helped to create a positive and fun atmosphere for the film.
- Choice of cast: The film's cast was also well-received by audiences. Margot Robbie and Ryan Gosling were both praised for their performances, and they helped to bring the characters to life.
Overall, Barbie is a successful film that has appealed to a wide range of audiences. The film's success is a testament to the hard work of the cast, crew, and marketing team. The success of Barbie is a surprise to many, as the movie was not expected to be a major hit. However, the film has benefited from strong word-of-mouth, and has been particularly popular with young audiences.
It is still too early to say whether Barbie will become Gosling's highest-grossing movie of all time. However, it is clear that the film has been a major success, and has helped to solidify Gosling's status as one of Hollywood's leading actors.