The success of the live-action Barbie movie has studios scrambling to develop other toy-based films. Mattel, the company that produces Barbie, is also reportedly working on a whole "Mattel Universe" of interconnected films, similar to the Marvel Cinematic Universe.
The success of the Barbie movie has shown that there is a market for toy-based movies. This has led to a number of studios vying for the rights to adapt other popular toy brands. In addition to the American Girl and Polly Pocket movies, there are also plans in the works for films based on the Hot Wheels, Masters of the Universe, and He-Man brands.
It remains to be seen whether these toy-based movies will be as successful as the Barbie movie. However, the success of the Barbie movie has certainly paved the way for more films of this genre.
- American Girl - A film based on the popular line of dolls is being developed by Sony Pictures.
- Polly Pocket - A film based on the miniature dolls is being developed by Mattel Films and MGM. Lily Collins is set to star.
- Hot Wheels - A film based on the die-cast cars is being developed by Warner Bros. Pictures.
- Masters of the Universe - A reboot of the film based on the He-Man and the Masters of the Universe franchise is being developed by Netflix.
- VTech Go! Go! Smart Wheels - A film based on the interactive toy cars is being developed by Universal Pictures.
It's too early to say which of these films will be successful, but the success of Barbie has certainly shown that there is an appetite for toy-based movies. We'll have to wait and see if any of these other films can replicate Barbie's success.
In addition to the films listed above, there are also a number of other toy-based projects in development, including a film based on the My Little Pony franchise, a film based on the Lego franchise, and a film based on the Care Bears franchise. It will be interesting to see which of these projects come to fruition and how they perform at the box office.